Sunday, August 28, 2011

Wilco's Writing Process

- Wilco and his band have an interesting process of song writing. For them, they start by working together to form a basic melody for the song. Then they add in all the other parts. When it seems like (to us) the song's complete, they then deconstruct the whole song and work with the parts. They meddle with each of the individual components of the song, until they are satisfied with ALL the parts. Then they reconstruct the song, and depending on how satisfied they are with the song, the song is complete.

- My writing process is very simple and generic. Before I start writing at all, I take a moment to gather my thoughts and think of the highlighting points that I would like to cover in my piece. Then, I take out a scratch paper and write up an outline of my paper. After this is finished, I write out the whole essay. Since I know that there's no way my piece will be perfect in one draft, I wait a couple hours, or even days, before re-reading the piece and editing it.

- For the outline of my piece, I make sure that I identify the thesis (if one's needed) and all the body paragraphs. For each of the body paragraphs, I write a quick summary covering the main argument of that paragraph and list details, quotes, examples, etc. that I could include. In the last paragraph, or conclusion, I make sure to identify a connection back to the introduction or to the thesis. After I've written my entire paper based on my outline and have waited a couple hours, I go back and read the piece from the first sentence to the last. While doing this, I mark places that seem to sound weird or have a funny wording. When I've finished reading the piece, I look back on the places I've marked and fix the word choices. Finally, I proof-read once more for grammatical errors.

No comments:

Post a Comment