Sunday, October 30, 2011

This Land is Your Land

- Guthrie's message is individualist because he constantly is referring back to "you" and "I" which gives indicates single persons seeking their own way in this land. Also, he paints an image that seems like there's an individual wandering over the land who is free to do what he'd like to do. This emphasizes the feeling that people can do what they please with there life and no one can stop them.

- It is anti-government. He sets a mood that is very free-spirited and unconstrained. For example, when he says "I saw above me an endless skyway. I saw below me a golden valley" he creates a feeling of being almost boundless. Then when he says "and on the sign it said "No Trespassing", but on the other side it didn't say nothing, that side was made for you and me" he seems almost to disregard the government (represented by the sign) and he goes on to say the unconstrained part was made for "you and me".

No comments:

Post a Comment